This weekend I had the pleasure of attending a relaxing retreat courtesy of Mind Body Marriage. It was my privilege to lead a group meditation for the 13 women physicians in attendance. As I’m reflecting on this time we spent filling our cups, a feeling of fresh, renewed energy has filled my heart.
I was reminded that meditation in a group setting has powerful effects that go above and beyond meditation by yourself.
What benefits are there to group meditation?
1) Transform your community: Setting positive intentions in a group has the power to make changes within your community and the world. This principle, sometimes termed the Maharishi effect, was originally brought to light by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in the 1960’s. He noted that when at least 1% of a population is practicing a transcendental meditation technique, there is an effect upon the local environment. Nearly 50 scientific research studies verify the Maharishi effect benefits. For instance, some studies have shown a decrease in crime rate in regions where this technique is introduced.
Individual consciousness affects the collective consciousness.
2) Experience synergy: In the group setting, the interaction of two or more individuals produces a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects. During group meditation, your energy frequency attunes to those around you, and your meditation experience can be elevated.
3) Receive group support: People who meditate in a group setting report feeling less alone, more connected to others, and more impacted by the silence generated during a session. You may connect with other like-minded individuals who may help you along this journey.
4) Get feedback: In a group, there are typically meditators of varying experience. This provides opportunities to learn new approaches to meditation and ask questions.
5) Develop a habit: When you are committed to a group, you benefit from additional motivation and confidence to continue a regular practice
Join my free group!
We will meet on zoom every Monday at 5 am CST for a 10-20 minute meditation beginning Monday July 8, 2019. Just go to https://zoom.us click join and enter meeting ID 347-110-508 join us.